Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Failure: Borrowing wisdom from the halls of Monsters University



I have two small children, and thus Pixar movies are an inescapable component of my daily existence.  Thankfully, somewhere between my youth and now, movie producers realized that their films will be much more popular if they include at least some humor that can be appreciated by parents.  But, in the last movie we watched, we were surprised to also find some profound wisdom regarding education and life in general.

Monsters University serves as a prequel to Monsters, Inc., and describes how all-star team James P. "Sully" Sullivan and Michael "Mike" Wazowski met in college and got their start in the field of Scaring.  They are both enrolled in the Scaring Program at Monsters University, and their class receives a surprise visit from the head of the program, Dean Hardscrabble, on the first day of class.


As part of her motivational speech, Dean Hardscrabble tells the class that her job is "to make great students greater, not make mediocre students less mediocre." The profoundness of this statement can only be appreciated by unpacking the relationship between greatness, mediocrity, and failure.

Much of what we do in life is driven by fear of failure.  It is tempting to set our goal as "I want to pass this exam/assignment/class" or "I want to be good enough to keep my job."  But, this is the entirely wrong approach.  Underlying these goals of being "just good enough" is the attitude of settling for mediocrity.  And, there really is no way to improve from that position — there is no such thing as "less mediocre."

But, surely mediocrity is better than failure, right?  (Any student who has taken my class knows that if I have to ask, then the answer is "no").  Settling for mediocrity means a life of never really trying.  In contrast, failure means aiming for greatness and occasionally missing.  In fact, if you look at history, it is almost impossible to achieve greatness without also suffering some measure of failure.  So, my goal for myself is to de-stigmatize failure, instead viewing it as an inevitable encounter on the road to success, and far preferable to mediocrity.

As will likely become apparent in this blog, I idolize Dan Pink.  And, it is not surprising that he has also weighed in on the topic of greatness, mediocrity, and failure.  He writes that "Most people are more frightened of failure than of mediocrity. It should be the reverse.  Failure is a broken leg — painful, but easily fixed. Mediocrity is a creeping disease — invisible and insidious — that disables so completely that there’s often no recovery."

I hope that Dean Hardscrabble would agree.




4 comments:

  1. Do you want to RECOVER your stolen COINS without worry, or are you seeking for a skilled hacker to help you increase and hack your CREDIT SCORE to excellent? hack judas specializes in all of these, and I am confident you will not be disappointed in dealing with him!!! hackerjudas9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet used to be a safe haven to gather new knowledge in the comfort of your space until these scammers sprouted out of the blue like worms and made it unsafe. I am a country music lover, and Kenny Rogers is my idol. I can remember when a notification from Instagram popped on my screen, Guess who, my idol. I was awed and I can remember myself writing about all his impact in my life. I was so sure I was talking to my idol on Instagram. He did say he wanted to introduce me to this quick money-making scheme because he noticed I have been a loyal fan on his official IG page. My idol can never go wrong in my eyes and didn't even do any research. I hurriedly joined the scheme. I never knew it was a scammer posing as a celebrity till I had invested $540.000.00. It got worse when I couldn't access my account or withdraw from my investment, I knew there was a problem after all these happenings. I need to get help from any means to ensure I am not a victim of these parasites. I was glad to be able to be introduced to the best CRYPTOCURRENCY RECOVER EXPERT known as Spyhost Cyber Security Company. I talked to their representative and they assured me of recovering my stolen investment. And as they promised, they didn't disappoint as they were very confident in their expertise. My stolen investment was successfully recovered and they were the ones who confirmed to me that I was catfished. If by chance you are in same dilemma you can contact them through the following channels
    Email; [Spyhost@cyberdude. Com]
    Whatsapp[+1(540)206-7541]
    - [ ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. RECOVERING STOLEN CRYPTO  FROM CRYPTO SCAMS / USE CAPTAIN WEBGENESIS
    While bitcoin recovery experts provide a valuable service to victims of crypto scams, it is always better to prevent scams from happening in the first place. Captain WebGenesis is providing solutions and helping people who have been scammed with Ponzi investment schemes to recover their hacked and stolen bitcoin. If you have happened to have been swindled by an online Bitcoin scammer, Contact Captain WebGenesis, Explain your situation to him on (Captainwebgenesis @ hackermail . com) I’m absolutely sure he will fix it, With Captain WebGenesis, cryptocurrency recovery is 100 percent guaranteed.

    More Info; Www.captainwebgenesis. com

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I QUICKLY RECOVERED BACK MY STOLEN FUNDS WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF WALLDRIVE CYBER SECURITY SERVICE.

    It is very important to be vigilant and carry out enough research before investing in crypto. I was among the victims of a huge crypto investment scam that saw me lose all my money. I was depressed and thought of giving up until a family friend of mine introduced me to Walldrive Cyber Security Service. This is a professional and reliable crypto recovery company with many years of experience in the recovery business. Walldrive Cyber Security Service was able to assist with the recovery of my lost crypto after I provided them with enough information about the fake investment company. I will warn future crypto investors to be extra cautious and avoid falling for any crypto scam.  If you need the service of Walldrive Cyber Security Service for the recovery of your crypto, data, or stolen assets, you can reach them via the following information: E-mail: walldriveservice@techie.com or WhattsApp: +44 7961 202493

    ReplyDelete