Thursday, December 26, 2019

Impostor syndrome: Own your abilities


I’m super excited to now be sharing thoughts and advice on navigating academia via my monthly Office Hours column in Chemical & Engineering News! I’ll be posting unedited versions of my columns on delay here on my blog, and you can catch the best and latest versions (and contribute your questions!) at my C&EN Office Hours site. As always, comments welcome – these topics impact us all, and we should all be part of the dialogue!

How do you combat imposter syndrome during big transitions (undergrad to grad school, grad school to postdoc, postdoc to faculty, etc) and how do you prevent imposter syndrome from affecting your success? -Sara Dubbury

Our own thoughts can be our best friend and our worst enemy. They fuel the thrill of creativity and discovery, they encourage us to learn and grow, and they form the foundation for our connection to others. But, they are also the source of cruel insecurities that can discourage us from taking on a challenge or prevent us from being able to give it our best. Two types of insecurities that frequently plague us as scientists are self-doubt and impostor syndrome. Self-doubt is thinking that you’re not good enough to get somewhere that you want to be or achieve something that you want to do. Impostor syndrome is when you do get to that place or achieve that goal, and then your thoughts tell you that you don’t deserve it. Worse, they tell you that everyone around you knows that you don’t deserve it. Ouch.

So, are these thoughts accurate? Probably not. Our insecurities are usually based upon fallacies – deceptive thought patterns that our mind casts upon reality.  In the case of impostor syndrome, I’ve seen two main fallacies. The first is a “subjective” belief that you don’t belong where you are – you can’t quite put your finger on a specific way in which everyone is better than you, but you sense that they are perfect and you know that you are not. This is especially common during the transitions that you mention – you are joining a new lab or workplace with new people, and while you are struggling to get your bearings and figure out how to be successful there, everyone else seems to have it mastered.  The second type of fallacy is a seemingly “objective” one – it’s based on data, and as scientists, we all love data, right? This happens when you look around and recognize that you are an outlier compared to everyone else around you.  This happened to me recently at a symposium in which I was invited to participate. As I surveyed the list of speakers, it quickly became apparent that by all metrics – seniority, job title, awards – “one of these people was not like the others,” and that person was me.

How do we counter each of these? I often hear the advice to do something that builds up your confidence and helps you to convince yourself that you deserve to be there. But, I’ve always felt uncomfortable with this advice. First, that’s just a really challenging thing to do, especially in the face of data that might seem to suggest otherwise, such as the case with my symposium invite. Second, this creates a slippery slope toward entitlement – if I convince myself that I deserve to be somewhere, then I might think that I no longer have to work hard to excel. I might also convince myself that the people who didn’t make it to that place don’t in fact deserve to be there. That’s not a thought pattern that I want to spend time in.

My approach is to instead recognize that it really doesn’t matter where I deserve to be or not be, because I am there and I’m thankful for that and I want to make the most of it. It also helps to take a step back and change my perspective on the situation. In the case of starting out in a new lab or stage of your career, recognize that the people around you seem to know what they’re doing because they’ve been there for a while, and that they were once just like you – the new person feeling lost and struggling to figure everything out. They developed their knowledge and skills by working hard and improving each day, and you can do the same. In the case of an “objective” set of metrics that suggest you don’t belong, consider that you might be looking at the wrong metrics. Our thoughts can make us downplay the importance of areas where we excel, while magnifying the importance of areas where we struggle.

Importantly, fighting impostor syndrome is something that you don’t have to do alone. Enlist the help of friends, colleagues, and mentors to remind you that you’ve developed expertise and thrived in new situations before and can do that again, or to point out the unique set of skills and accomplishments that you have but might not recognize.  Finally, if all else fails, when your thoughts tell you that everyone around you has it all figured out, recognize that they probably also got it right when they chose to hire you or invite you.

6 comments:

  1. Very informative blog, i never knew such things. Thanks for sharing this and for letting us learn something new..!!
    Cultivating Emotional Balance

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW TO HIRE A HACKER TO RECOVER STOLEN BITCOIN USING ONIS DIGITAL HACKER

    I recently fell victim to Bitcoin trading scams with 3 different companies and one company I was trying to get a loan from. It is about $60,000USD in total that I have invested with these companies. I reported the issue to the authorities, but they could not do anything since scam reports are often ignored. One of the officers who seemed to be really moved by my situation gave me an email onisdigitalhacker @gmail com and whatsapp +14377831157 told me that someone who had previously fallen into a crypto scam managed to get their investments through the help of the contact. I emailed them immediately and provided all the contact numbers, email addresses, and websites that they use as also the emails with the BTC Transaction details. After what seemed like the longest three days of my life, I had the location details of all three scammers and my money in full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fantastic, skilled, and knowledgeable group. They enabled me to get my money back in full. Throughout the process, they kept me updated and were truthful and pragmatic on my available choices. Without a doubt, I would advise friends, family, and anybody else who has lost money on scam websites to use Cyberetrieve. Once again, I want to thank you for your much-needed and appreciated assistance. contact Cyberetrieve now via email or whatsapp

    Email: CYBERETRIEVE@MAIL.COM

    Whatsapp:+1(716) 545-4535

    ReplyDelete
  4. How To Recover Your Lost Bitcoin With Captain WebGenesis.

    Have you by any means invested your hard earned funds or Bitcoin with an Investment Scheme and later you find out you  have been duped, and you would wish to track down and recover your funds. Captain WebGenesis is a Cyber skilled Expert with special skills to help Scam victims recover their lost Bitcoin. The Expert contains all computer programs required to complete Recoveries from the start till you recover all your funds. Captain WebGenesis also specializes with Credit repair, have all the issues dealing with your poor credit score dealt with. Get in touch with Captain WebGenesis through the Email below;  
    Add; Captainwebgenesis@ hackermail. com
    Website Link; Www.captainwebgenesis.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I QUICKLY RECOVERED BACK MY STOLEN FUNDS WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF WALLDRIVE CYBER SECURITY SERVICE.

    It is very important to be vigilant and carry out enough research before investing in crypto. I was among the victims of a huge crypto investment scam that saw me lose all my money. I was depressed and thought of giving up until a family friend of mine introduced me to Walldrive Cyber Security Service. This is a professional and reliable crypto recovery company with many years of experience in the recovery business. Walldrive Cyber Security Service was able to assist with the recovery of my lost crypto after I provided them with enough information about the fake investment company. I will warn future crypto investors to be extra cautious and avoid falling for any crypto scam. 

    If you need the service of Walldrive Cyber Security Service for the recovery of your crypto, data, or stolen assets, you can reach them via the following information:

    E-mail: walldriveservice @ techie . com 

    WhatsApp: +4 4 7 9 6 1 2 0 2 4 9 3

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pain after losing a hard earned large sum of money to a fake online investment scheme tends to be so hard to bear. I happened to lose $679,000 pounds to a fake Crypto fraudulent company that lured me into investing with them to make huge sums of profits. Profits accumulated well till it was time to withdraw the funds, The company kept on asking for funds to withdraw my funds. On noticing I had been scammed they had already duped me all my funds. I was really in disbelief and had to look for a means to have my funds back. bORIS dIGITAL HACKS were the Recovery Experts I came across. I provided the required information to the experts and all my funds were recovered back by the Hackers. Boris digital Hacks are the only recommendable hackers to any Scam victim out there that has been scammed or have bitcoin lost and wants to recover there funds back
    CONTACT INFO : Whatsapp +1 3 0 5 5 1 5 2 0 6 3/ Email: šŸ˜¦hackerboris2 @ gmail .com

    ReplyDelete